The hot potato of the digital marketing industry today is the process of bringing synergy across all online channels like social media platforms, websites, blogs, SEO, e-mails, etc. for a consistent and a more in-depth engagement with the customer. Another major important question is how to integrate digital marketing with traditional marketing for a more efficient sales and marketing strategy.
The primary objective of this strategy is to create a strong-rooted and unanimous positioning of your brand. It talks about the sales and products of a single brand irrespective of the medium of marketing. It helps marketers in developing strategies and focus their efforts in expanding their marketing across a various mix of marketing channels. It reaches out to a large number of consumers and gives valuable insight into customer behavior. It can also tap on the return on investment through analysis and management of data.
Reasons to implement integrated digital marketing:
- Need of customers: A study by Gartner shows that 72% of customers prefer integrated branded experience across all online mediums. However, to make purchasing decisions, it takes about 7-13+ touch points. Thus, integrated digital marketing can help brands create a strong integrated presence across every online media to reach out to their targeted customers.
- Analyse results: Often, it is not easy to measure ROI and conversion rates regarding marketing campaigns especially through offline channels. Through large data and better analytics, integrated digital marketing makes it easier to determine the level of success marketing efforts have achieved.
The integrated marketing campaign of Land Rover is a good example. It engaged its customers on a large scale by running a homepage masthead takeover on Youtube and Masthead in Lightbox Ads across Google Display Network. The campaign also maximized visibility with mobile, search and Google+. Due to all this, Land Rover garnered more than 100M impressions and 15% of its total sales now comes from online leads. Another good example is the Google and Dove case where online advertising resulted in a 6% overall sales uplift and when it was combined with television advertising, there was an 11% sales increase.
- Get a competitive edge: According to a report by digital audience, there was a 137% increase in the number of brand advertising across multiple channels and it also highlighted a 500% increase in brands mobile, display, video and social marketing simultaneously. A smart Insights’ research revealed that 33% of marketers are increasingly using integrated planning of digital and traditional marketing. It thus, leads us to conclude that competitors are not running more efficient marketing campaigns, but also gaining the advantage of being the first ones to employ such strategies. The earlier you adopt an integrated digital marketing strategy, the more profits your efforts can gain.
Barriers To The Implementation Of Integrated Digital Marketing:
Due to increased complexity in consumer behavior and a large variety of marketing channels available, it is not a cakewalk anymore for marketers to provide seamless experiences to customers using comprehensive marketing efforts. Integrated digital marketing has its own set of challenges too.
- Lack of alignment with business goals: Smart Insights and TFM& conducted a research that highlighted that lack of planning was the most important factor for the integration of digital marketing channels. When strategies are not aligned with the company’s business as well as overall marketing strategy and goals, it fails to define SMART(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely) goals, allocate an appropriate budget and reach out to the pre-defined target audience and also deliver the expected results.
- Lack of Technology: Technology plays an instrumental role in defining the success of an integrated marketing strategy. It requires high-end technological tools to analyze and measure the impact of the marketing strategies adopted by each channel. Identifying the apt technology is one of the major concerns for companies, as revealed by a State Inbound report on top marketing challenges.
Tips For A Successful Integrated Digital Marketing Campaign:
- Identify your target customers: It is very important to pre-define your target customers and develop an insight of their consumer behavior through historical and real-time data. This will help you to get an idea of which marketing channel is the best through which you can communicate your brand message to them.
- Select your marketing channel(s): Every digital or traditional marketing channel has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. However, there is room for every channel if you want to create an integrated digital marketing campaign. It is advisory that you shortlist the channels that have maximum impact with maximum performance for the brand depending on the target audience.
When Cadbury launched ‘Chocolate Carmel’ campaign, it used Facebook, Adwords, YouTube, T.V., cinema and video-on demand because its aim was to reach out to chocolate lovers across all age groups. The digital channels generated 4x revenue that the offline platform and contributed to 20% sales.
- Create a consistent communication: When you communicate a brand to your customers across different channels, it is necessary to ensure that it has a consistent and cohesive brand message and visual identity. It helps for a greater brand recall.
- Measure what you implement: Unless you know your email open rate, click through rates on your website or number of shares on Facebook, you won’t be able to determine the impact of your campaign and what corrective or preventive measures should be taken. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that analytics, metrics and performance tracking tools are in place.
Integrated digital marketing will surely determine and dominate the future of marketing. Its implementation is easy; all you need to do is have a collaborative team like ours and, a structured process to beef up its effectiveness.